TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
· Previous · Next Return to Index › Zirve University in Gaziantep, Turkey
Marc - 2012-11-02

If you ever think of working there, consider the following:

Many of the apartments are difficult to sleep in. My bedroom window was over one restaurant and my living room window was over another. There were vacant apartments, but they refused to move me or my neighbor.

They loan you a school computer. When you go to pick it up, they give you a contract in Turkish to sign. I refused to sign it, so I did not get a computer. Eventually, they translated it into English and it holds the teacher responsible for anything that goes wrong with the computer. Also, it is a 3 year old, used computer, but based on the contract, if the entire computer broke, they could hold you responsible for buying them a brand new computer. My Turkish office mate's power cord broke after one year and he had to replace it himself. People also go into other's offices and steal others power cords, so they don't have to pay to replace their own.

The teachers who were there last year told me they were regularly paid late-one month 9 days late.

They demand a 500 lira security deposit for the apartment. Teachers from last year told me that those who left, lost their security deposit when the manager of Petek (the apartment name) claimed they damaged furniture or other things in the apartment, even though it was damaged when they moved in.

They nickel and dime you on a lot of things.

The salary you get will be $200 less than the amount you see quoted in their ads. That amount is called a "bonus" and allegedly paid at the end of the contract. Just don't have a broken computer or who knows how much they might deduct from your bonus.

You better like meetings, workshops and being watched and evaluated by a lot of people because they do a lot of that.

If you have any specific questions, you can email me. If you want to read a more detailed account:

http://www.amazon.com/TEFL-Zirve-University-Gaziantep-Turkey/dp/1480229105/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351870804&sr=8-1&keywords=tefl+at+zirve

http://www.amazon.com/Zirve-University-Gaziantep-Turkey-ebook/dp/B009ZY2WQ2/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1351871647&sr=1-1&keywords=tefl+at+zirve

· Previous · Next Return to Index › Zirve University in Gaziantep, Turkey

Go to another board -