TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Business English - ESL discussion
Ben - 2005-06-17
In response to Try China also - ESL discussion (sed)

I know, the problem with my credentials is that's the obvious answer. However, I just don't think I'd enjoy that, and I especially don't want to get involved with a 'teach for pay' situation, or teaching at night, that sort of thing. I don't want, or need, to scrabble around for money, I want to teach in the classic sense--which I know is swimming upstream a little because these folks are so focused on business.

Now, in a university setting, if they'd want me to teach some business english that would be ok.

What doesn't come out in formal 'credentials' is my background in history and the humanities--my masters thesis was about 200 pages on a purely historical analysis. What I'd really like to do is 'hijack' my class into some sort of western culture, history, geography, literature, politics, etc--it seems to me you have to have content, might as well be something useful and interesting to them if these are the future leaders of international trade in Korea/China.

What would make China less stressful than Korea? One thing about Korea is it has those huge breaks--you basically only teach about 8 months a year if I'm interpreting correctly. That would be ideal for me because then I could use that time to get the more 'linguistic' sort of MA. What sort of breaks do Chinese universities have? I can't quite break the code on them, they seem to be all over the map.

But you've intuited correctly--after 24 years of working 12 hour days 'less stressful' is what I'm looking for--I'm almost entirely looking for personal fulfillment, a sense of contribution, and at least a decent standard of living for my wife and I so we can enjoy the experience.

Mostly that means the living arrangments--a little one bedroom apt would be fine, a little two-bedroom would be fantastic, but with breaks off we'd plan to go back and forth between overseas and the states--I have a house at home near a great teaching university so I'd spend the breaks just pressing ahead with classes and unwinding.

Really appreciate your help, btw--trying to figure this stuff out from Dayton, Ohio (which is NOT home!), makes me feel like I'm trying to look at Mt Rushmore through a straw.

Messages In This Thread
University Job in Korea - ESL discussion -- Ben -- 2005-06-16
Re: University Job in Korea - ESL discussion -- H. clarkton -- 2008-05-13
Korea vs China teaching - ESL discussion -- Paul -- 2005-06-18
My advice - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-06-17
Try China also - ESL discussion -- sed -- 2005-06-17
Business English - ESL discussion -- Ben -- 2005-06-17
Check CMU in Thailand - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-06-18
Korea University Jobs - ESL discussion *Link* -- Jackie -- 2005-06-21
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Business English - ESL discussion

Go to another board -