TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Teaching English with your husband and baby?
Mancunian - 2012-12-21

I was just wondering how common it is, or if this happens at all, that schools hire husband and wife teams that want to experience something different with their toddler.
Are there any sites or recommendations for a family: wife, husband and toddler, to get an ESL job in some exotic location? We love South East Asia, Japan and are also very intrigued by Korea. I previously taught English in China, so I am more familiar with it, but it could also be a possibility.
If jobs in this situation are rare, what about volunteer opportunities where accomodation would be free. Maybe somewhere in Africa?

Just don't end up working for nothing, please, as it is often a big con and takes away livings from foreign teachers who need to work for a crust of bread.

I only know about China; whereas, I don't think Chinese school bosses think it any advantage in employing couples complete with toddler, in my experience it has not been a disadvantage either. I have even worked for schools where other FT's have had young babies, and they have been made most welcome by the Chinese. You should apply for jobs in the normal way, without trying to use your little free-spirit as a selling point. A job in a private school or English Centre would be best, they are cleaner than government schools, but either way you should make sure your child is well immunised against Hepatitis b, since young children can easily become carriers, eventually ending up with a chronic disease. Hepatitis A needs to be covered for also, because although the Chinese are a nice friendly people they are not hot on food hygiene.

You should put your profiles on ESL sites without delay. There is no need to mention your child initially, it can come out when negotiations takes place, after a recruiter has interested a school with the prospects of having, whichever one of you is going to be the main breadwinner. You both won't be able to sign a contract for a position; however, Chinese students make good babysitters, so there will be scope for hubby to also do some teaching.

Messages In This Thread
Teaching English with your husband and baby? -- Shayna -- 2012-12-21
Re: Teaching English with your husband and baby? -- Mancunian -- 2012-12-21
Re: Teaching English with your husband and baby? -- foxy -- 2012-12-21
Re: Teaching English with your husband and baby? -- Mancunian -- 2012-12-21
Re: Teaching English with your husband and baby? -- foxy -- 2012-12-22
Re: Teaching English with your husband and baby? -- Mancunian -- 2012-12-22
Re: Teaching English with your husband and baby? -- Shayna -- 2012-12-21
Re: Teaching English with your husband and baby? -- Mancunian -- 2012-12-22
Re: Teaching English with your husband and baby? -- foxy -- 2012-12-23
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Teaching English with your husband and baby?

Go to another board -