TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › He sounds like a super-tightwad at best - ESL discussion
SiamSap - 2005-06-23
In response to I need some quick advice, guys - ESL discussion (Ann-Toe-Knee)

At best, your new boss sounds like a typical hard-nosed business man. He's putting profits before you and his students. You should have been up there teaching at least two weeks ago, probably more.

I suspect he wants you to try to use HIS credit card, something that may not even be allowed in Thailand, to pay for the ticket only to discover it has insufficient funds. He then will 'offer' to reimburse you if you cover the airfare cost yourself to get up there sometime after you arrive. If the contract you signed says 'employer will provide a plane ticket' you'll be screwed if you do that. He'll jerk you around on the reimbursement until the last weeks of your contract, then dodge it completely. Buying the ticket yourself would be outside the contract, so you'd have no legal means to get that reimbursement. And he would not give you one, either.

If he has the blue form in his hand right now, why isn't he sending it to you?

Save ALL emails you get from him. You may need them later in court up there, assuming you even GO. It sounds like you need to go ahead and take the BKK job.

Even if you DO make it up to Changwon, I bet he'll dick you around on your bonus (your 13th if you are contracted for one), any overtime you incur, and even your normal payroll. On top of it all, it will now be a hell of a bitch to get out of this contract and get another job in SK. At the rate he moves, you'll be 'cleared' by about next April.

Give him a day or two longer, then go for the BKK job. You can try again for SK next year.

Good luck.

SS

Messages In This Thread
I need some quick advice, guys - ESL discussion -- Ann-Toe-Knee -- 2005-06-22
I'm in - ESL discussion -- Ann-Toe-Knee -- 2005-06-26
He sounds like a super-tightwad at best - ESL discussion -- SiamSap -- 2005-06-23
advice - ESL discussion -- Jun -- 2005-06-22
Thanks a bunch - ESL discussion -- Ann-Toe-Knee -- 2005-06-22
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › He sounds like a super-tightwad at best - ESL discussion

Go to another board -