TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › TEFL Teaching--the glorified babysitting gig - ESL discussion
Elephant - 2005-06-23

Hey, it's no surprise you're having such troubles. In Asia, we TEFL teachers are mostly nothing more than glorified babysitters. Yeah, I know it's hard to admit. I know we all want to think we're making a difference here in Asia. Unfortunately, most of our students don't really want to learn English. At least not while in high school.

For every student who actually WANTS to learn English in my classes, I have nine who don't. Sure, the Thai government forces its students to learn English, but not one official bothered to ask the students if they really want to learn English. Most of them don't, but the government here says they have to be crammed into English classes anyway.

When I've had students in Thailand act up just like they're doing in your class, I've immediately cancelled the class and walked back to my office. The very next class following the cancelled class usually has been but a collection of angels ready to learn. But not always. I've had a few back-to-back cancellations.

Try cancelling YOUR classes of miscreants and see what happens. If this doesn't help, pack your bags and head for the exit.

I used to wonder why people quit this TEFL business after only a short while. After only a few days teaching in Thailand, I became fully aware of the answer.

I just wish my TEFL outfit would have told me I'd be nothing but a babysitter before coming. Beore I laid out my 1600 USD for the fancy-smancy course/cert.

Good luck.

Elephant

Messages In This Thread
teaching second time round - ESL discussion -- LC -- 2005-06-21
If you don't leave you may hurt me later - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-06-25
Leave - ESL discussion -- The Joker -- 2005-06-24
TEFL Teaching--the glorified babysitting gig - ESL discussion -- Elephant -- 2005-06-23
second time around - ESL discussion -- jinchafa -- 2005-06-23
This job may keep affecting you long after you've left -- Elephant -- 2005-06-23
The two reasons to quit any job - ESL discussion -- SiamSap -- 2005-06-23
Go! Now! - ESL discussion -- BD -- 2005-06-22
Get outta there - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-06-22
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › TEFL Teaching--the glorified babysitting gig - ESL discussion

Go to another board -