TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
foxy - 2013-04-21
In response to Re: ELIC (MikeK)

ELIC is some sort of religious (charitable) org based in the US. They train and orientate their EFL teachers stateside before sending them to China. I believe their teachers are sent only to private schools in China. This is especially good for big private schools and universities here. They can get EFL teachers in quantity cheaper and more easily than by recruiting expats not attached to teaching orgs one by one. But it means the salaries offered by those employers are just average or a little below average. Another thing is that ELIC lets the Chinese side get away with a contract clause threstening dismissal of any FT who has been caught having a romantic association with a Chinese co-worker. This is contrary to human rights in my view. I feel that ELIC could have pushed the Chinese side to back down on this. The former would have sufficient clout to do so as some of these private schools and universities are taking ELIC FTs upwards of double figures at the start of each academic year, and therefore saving a lot on salaries and air fare allowances/reimbursements.

Messages In This Thread
Re: ELIC -- MikeK -- 2013-04-21
Re: ELIC -- foxy -- 2013-04-21

Go to another board -