TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › A cultural factor that applies to maids in the Middle East has parallels with the treatment of teach
Curious - 2013-04-27

From photo journalist Natalie Naccache: "Lebanon's uncomfortable maid culture" (link to CNN below - her text is on the right of the screen, we have to scroll down)

I find a striking parallel with the fate of FT in the Middle East (and in China): total control by the employer, total submission by the maid, employers confiscate passports so the maids do not "escape", maid is expected to live her life only for her employer, some employers are ok, some are not (physical and verbal abuse, rape, etc)

This article opened my eyes to some of Dragonized's positions like being subservient only calls for more abuse because the problem is deep and endemic.

I also understand what I think is Beelzebub's position: Be diplomatic and things will be easier (do I undestand right, Beelzebub?).

I think Foxy's position is: Use the faults of the system in your own advantage (do you agree with my assessment of your position, Foxy?)

Turnoi, if you have time to look at this article, would you say that it reflects the attitude of the school owners/managers in China? Is it an attitude that is lingering from the Middle Ages, or before of course, from the dawn of time - sefs and masters?

Silverboy's testosterone laden position is probably: Send them to hell, don't work for them.

But is there a way to work in the Middle East, make good money, and not feel like a slave, like a maid? The same question would apply to China: Is there a way to teach English in 80-90% of the schools/pretend schools that are owned by business types, and not feel like a maid, not leave with your self-esteem dwarfed?

And should a FT arrive in China with the attitude "you won't screw me", or the attitude "I will try to maximize my chances of having a good time and doing a good job". Of course in the Middle East, I believe that you can't arrive with the former.

View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › A cultural factor that applies to maids in the Middle East has parallels with the treatment of teach

Go to another board -