TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › If you expect dignity and respect, then DON'T work at "Happy Marian"
Tom T. Hall - 2013-06-08

I made the mistake of signing a contract with that company. Of the schools I've worked for, unHappy Marian was the worst experience, even worse than Joy English which I only applied for. (*) Don't just take my word for it, track down and talk to people who have worked there. If you have worked there, post your feedback.

(* Have you ever noticed that some names are the exact opposites of what the reality is? "Happiness" and "joy" are the last things you'll find in those two chains.)

I am NOT one of those foreigners who views teaching as an interruption of a paid vacation. I actually expect to work, to be able to use what I've learnt if/when I become a public school teacher in the US. But I've had a HUGE amount of frustration with unHappy Marian. For example:

* Unreasonable expectations of time

The school is only open for eight hours. That means one hour to prepare, three 2-hour classes five days per week, and two half hour breaks between. And on top of that, teachers are NOT allowed to take materials home (e.g. no test marking at home, no lesson prep), yet somehow the "school" expects one to make props, mark tests, and write reports all within that time. WHEN, exactly, are people supposed to do that if no time is available before or after classes?

* Disrespect of you as a human being, never mind a teacher

It is not a "discussion" when only one side is talking, when the so-called "management" refuses to answer questions, when teachers are expected to buy and make things out of their own pockets and no materials provided. And let's not forget expecting to "inspect" your apartment, something I refused to allow and was docked wages for.

* Unresponsiveness of the franchise and chain to problems

Despite the fact that the company runs and oversees the individual schools, they somehow see it as "not their problem" when managers at the "schools" attempt to violate Taiwan's own labor laws. They see that as the employee's problem, and that doesn't mean employees should take it up with the government. No, the chain expects you to silently put up with violations of labor laws and contract terms.

* Dishonesty about working conditions, wages, the school, etc.

The "school" I worked at had management that would flat-out lie. They claimed "not to have turnover problems" until I and the other teacher arrived. Two teachers were a problem at the same time? Meanwhile, the students could name ten teachers they had seen over three years - different students in different classes of different ages, all naming the same teachers in the same chronological order. What are the chances of that? Who would you believe, the people making money or the kids who gain nothing by lying? And that's only one example.

-------------------

Maybe some of these were limited to the franchise I was at, but other teachers told me of similar things in other cities and schools, so it wasn't strictly my own experience.

This report isn't a recent experience, I'm saying it a year after the fact, as I'm preparing to leave and go home in August. I stifled myself to avoid potential vindictive and punitive acts. I wouldn't put it past that school to lie about me and claim things that weren't true.

I am REALLY glad that my recent employer was, for the most part, reasonable and willing to listen, as were my other employers prior to unHappy Marian. (However, she has the usual Taiwanese attitude that employees don't need to know anything ahead of time). I haven't soured on Taiwan as a place, but I'm glad I don't have to work here anymore, going back to where laws actually protect employees from such behavior.

Messages In This Thread
If you expect dignity and respect, then DON'T work at "Happy Marian" -- Tom T. Hall -- 2013-06-08
Re: If you expect dignity and respect, then DON'T work at "Happy Marian" -- MikeK -- 2013-06-09
Re: If you expect dignity and respect, then DON'T work at "Happy Marian" -- Tom T. Hall -- 2013-06-12
Re: If you expect dignity and respect, then DON'T work at "Happy Marian" -- MikeK -- 2013-06-13
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › If you expect dignity and respect, then DON'T work at "Happy Marian"

Go to another board -