TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Activity ideas - experienced teacher advice wanted
Nai - 2013-07-07

Hi,
I'm a new graduate and I've just bagged my first job teaching English in a French business school. My first official job will be a week long programme of 3 hour lessons with mixed ages of high school children. The lessons are intended to be fun so i'm trying to brainstorm some fun and interesting activities that I can do with the students, but seeing as it will only last one week I'm keen to have one overall theme so that the lessons aren't disjointed and the kids know what they are working towards. My initial thought on this was to get the kids to create a TV show, each day we could devote an hour or so to working on the various components involved and getting the kids to use their own interests as ideas for sketches, interviews, and other sections of the show. The rest of the lessons could be like workshops on interview skills/asking questions in english, using the past tense as they would in a news section, interspersed with more fun activities like making a song for the show and so on...

I was wondering what experienced ESL teachers thought of this and whether any of you have any advice (I would really appreciate any words of wisdom!)

I'm also aware that I'm likely to lose their concentration several times throughout a lesson, considering their length, so I'm trying to get a nice bank of warm up activities and games which maybe only take 5-10 minutes but which shake things up a bit and get them moving and excitable, does anyone have an tried and tested activities and games such as these, they don't necessarily have to be English learning games - their brains may need a little rest every no and again.

Thanks very much, looking forward to reading any hints and tips,
Nai

Messages In This Thread
Activity ideas - experienced teacher advice wanted -- Nai -- 2013-07-07
Re: Activity ideas - experienced teacher advice wanted -- Beelzebub -- 2013-07-07
Re: Activity ideas - experienced teacher advice wanted -- ideas -- 2013-07-07
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Activity ideas - experienced teacher advice wanted

Go to another board -