TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: re: chinese immigrants find aussie small talk hard?
Dragonized - 2013-08-10

I was not just talking about overseas Chinese people, or Chinese people who have immigrated. I was actually thinking more about Chinese people who reside in China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan rather than those who have moved to other countries. Of course there are a few good people. At the same time, there are many who are still ignorant and let that pull them into evil.

Now I do not think China is the only one with the type of xenophobia that I am going to talk about. In developed countries like Japan for example the masses will have a consensual agreement on how to or not to assimilate certain groups of people. But that is where you separate your beef from your bacon(Australian analogy?) so to speak. Countries that have a more fair system which treats all of its people better will have a more tolerant environment. Chinese folks like to give the excuse that China has too many people, and with the economy the way it is now salaries are low. Of course, if I gave the comparison that Chinese teachers make more than Foreign teachers I have gotten the response that the Chinese teachers are the "Real Professionals" while Foreign Teachers are just "Temp Workers". If I state that FT's are human beings too and should receive fair treatment the response can be, "That's just the way all Chinese bosses are." By the way this is from a recent conversation I had with a Chinese individual over the internet. If you look at places like South Korea and Japan the population density is higher. But the salary, system of law, and even in some cases the acceptance of expats there are much better than that of China.

Thus brings up another point: The Chinese are culturally conditioned to NEVER ADMIT THAT THEY COULD BE WRONG, ever. Between a conversation with two Chinese it is imperative to talk about things that can make both sides happy. Even if one side is obviously wrong unless you want to make them "lose face" you should not point any of their wrongs out if you still want them to like you. The truth only comes out sporadically from my own experience if they already see you as the outsider who is undesirable and unwelcomed. Even then, they will be more about insults and slandering you than actually acknowledging anything you say as having value. Over time, you make a place where most people who come from there see Truth as being unimportant, even dangerous. With Virtue being seen as evident of a person possessing weak character, rather than a strong one.

When Chinese folks immigrate to another country, most of them will comment on how honest, straightforward, and "easy to fool" the local inhabitants are. They are in effect expecting an attitude from the locals to treat them negatively and with suspicion. When this is not given, their behavior can unfortunately devolve in a way that will eventually net them this type of attitude, a self fullfilling prophecy of sorts. To deprogram from this and understand that it is YOUR CHOICE on how you behave towards others is no easy task. I do think that both Psychology and Religion must be given in equal doses in order to remedy this. Otherwise, the "being Chinese" or have the "Chinese" identity will always loom as a shadow over the souls of many. Expectations of the aformentioned inappropriate behavior under the guise of being a "Chinese Person" only creates a hive mentality that can be described as a huge Cult following with Heretical Thinking and Behavior attached to it.

Messages In This Thread
Re: re: chinese immigrants find aussie small talk hard? -- Dragonized -- 2013-08-10
Re: re: chinese immigrants find aussie small talk hard? -- Curious -- 2013-08-10
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: re: chinese immigrants find aussie small talk hard?

Go to another board -