TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Am I the only one to lose money? - ESL discussion
James Pipp - 2005-07-22
In response to Contek Institute, Johannesburg - ESL discussion (Ian Williams)

Hi Ian
I am posting this to find out if I am the only person who actually lost money.
To date I haven't informed Scotland Yard, mainly because I have been monitoring this board to see if others have had the same experience.
I gather from all the posts that have been generated by your original posting that there are a few teachers out there who actually were in contact with Contek. But what I'd like to know is how many established an ongoing email discussion with Michael Howard of Contek. It was this discussion - about arrival dates and work-related issues - that sucked me in to believing the genuine nature of the job - even though, like others, I orginally thought that I smelled a rat too.
My final decision to go ahead and accept the job and make arrangements to travel was not done entirely alone. I talked with friends, non-teachers, during the whole process and they read my emails and were also grudgingly convinced that it seemed genuine - so encouraged me to go ahead with it.
It was only due to the volume of emails between me and Contek that made me 'put down my guard' and send money via Western Union. Mr Howard said that it was both an internal accounting necessity as well as keeping the whole travel and arrival process within the Travel Agents responsibilities...which sounded reasonable at the time.
Unlike one person who posted 'I shake my Head...' I am not a fool. I have been lied to blatantly in the past when I worked in Korea, and I am also totally aware of scams operated by Agents there and in China. But this situation puts the whole issue of Job Postings on the web on another level!
Yes, I too found the job on mikesesl.com
Cheers
James

Messages In This Thread
Contek Institute, Johannesburg - ESL discussion -- Ian Williams -- 2005-07-18
James, Ian. What's the latest word? - ESL discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2005-08-14
I've heard not one peep from them - ESL discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2005-07-26
Am I the only one to lose money? - ESL discussion -- James Pipp -- 2005-07-22
Hey--I've been lied to as well in SK - ESL discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2005-07-23
How did you find out about Contek? - ESL discussion -- Elephant -- 2005-07-20
Contek Institute - ESL discussion -- Ian Williams -- 2005-07-20
Mark's IMPs should know about it - ESL discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2005-07-21
Contek Institute warning - ESL discussion -- Ian Williams -- 2005-07-19
Please give them my email - ESL discussion -- James Pipp -- 2005-07-20
Give them my email - ESL discussion -- Ian Williams -- 2005-07-20
let's compare notes, Ian. - ESL discussion -- James Pipp -- 2005-07-22
I found this on the net about the scam -- observer -- 2005-07-20
BE WARNED! RE Contek Institue. Liverpool/Johanesburg - ESL discussion -- James Pipp -- 2005-07-19
email of scam Contek - ESL discussion -- billy -- 2005-07-19
Thank you for this money saving tip - ESL discussion -- KL -- 2005-07-19
Contek Institute - ESL discussion -- James Pipp -- 2005-07-19
don't send them money, westernunion for visas - ESL discussion -- teacher -- 2005-07-18
Did you send money to them via Western Union - ESL discussion -- James Pipp -- 2005-07-19
I shake my head - ESL discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2005-07-19
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Am I the only one to lose money? - ESL discussion

Go to another board -