TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
· Previous · Next Return to Index › Fence Post Project Update - ESL discussion
Rheno747 - 2005-07-27

How's it going for my fluent fenceposts? Let me give you an update, dear readers:

Facts from my earlier post

Fence posts don't cheat on homework. Just like my Thai students, my fence posts won't do homework in the first place even when they're told to do it hundreds of times. So it's all good.

Fence posts don't bring dicitionaries, pens, pencils, notebooks, et. al to class even after being asked hundreds of times. This is fine....neither do my Thai students.

Fence posts are a LOT quieter in the classroom, so all the posts are able to hear what any individual post says. However, fence posts won't even try to speak or practice English, I'm discovering. Again, this is not a problem, as neither do my Thai students.

My fence posts should achieve the same level of fluency as my Thai students after only one year. Considering my Thai students aren't fluent after TEN years studying English, this should easily be achieved.

I predict no one will care, ultimately, that my fence posts will not become fluent. Not to worry, however. My Thai students' parents don't care one iota that their kids have been in English classes 6, 7, 8, and even TEN years and still can't even use pronouns!

UPDATE

After graduation, most of my fenceposts were put to work in farmers' fields as, well, fenceposts. Am I disappointed? Sure. But not as disappointed as I am with my Thai seniors. You see most Thai students don't care about learning English. As a result, most of my graduated seniors are now working menial jobs just like my fenceposts. If only they'd actually made an effort to learn English. I'm sure at least some would have been able to land those great jobs advertised in the Bangkok Post every day of the world....those great jobs that require at least a 'good command of English'. They thought their classes back in high school were boring. Now they can be bored all day long for the next fourty years selling trinkets out of trinket stalls on Koh Sahrn Road to tightwad backpackers.

What could have been.

· Previous · Next Return to Index › Fence Post Project Update - ESL discussion

Go to another board -