TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › More than just a visa clampdown...
John O’Shei - 2013-09-29

I’m dragging this off-topic, I might be completely wrong about this, so don’t take this as gospel, but:

My impression is that there seems to be a huge desire in China to clamp down on any kind of bad behaviour from foreigners, they will have a field day with whoever they catch. There’s talk of preventing the teaching of universal values, resisting western cultural influences, purifying the internet etc... Even recently posted that article about wumaos on expat websites. Whatever is actually happening behind the scenes is something to watch out for. This is far more than just a simple visa crackdown I think.

Therefore as a foreigner, it is better to be squeaky clean these days, we aren’t all angels, but try not to arrogantly swagger around if you are up to anything naughty. Pink room visits will probably have to be a no-no regardless of your morals or lack of them. If you smoke weed, don’t be so open about it. Shagging your students? Break somebody’s heart or get them pregnant and you will automatically become a prime example of an evil foreign devil.

Hell, I might not participate in the above, but even if you have a drink, you could end up in trouble if you aren’t careful. I have mentioned that Chinese people can be very biased if there’s a dispute and being totally shitfaced isn’t a good luck, even though it is common for the locals to get legless themselves. Hence I’m personally sometimes cautious about my alcohol consumption at barbecues now, shots in bars no longer appeal quite as much and slowly sipped cocktails are preferred.

There’s a fair few foreigners that seem to believe that they are never going to get caught, I’ve seen students who are excessively open about selling weed, guys that are teaching on a tourist visa, people riding big motorbikes without a licence. I may seem a tad paranoid, but I predict that in 2014, things will end in tears for a fair few people.

Messages In This Thread
More than just a visa clampdown... -- John O’Shei -- 2013-09-29
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › More than just a visa clampdown...

Go to another board -