TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: EFL schools that will hire without a degree
John O'Shei - 2013-10-09
In response to EFL schools that will hire without a degree (Jeffrey A Downs)

Sorry to sound harsh, but if this is truly the career that you want, I'd suggest that you spend your time getting a degree, even though they are probably overrated in the west these days. Your CELTA/TEFL etc certificates only prove that you can teach, but it won't get you a visa. There are lots of teachers who get visas without a TEFL, but not without a degree.

There's a lot of other teachers out there and not having a degree kind of leaves you at the bottom the pile, at the mercy of businesses that certainly don't have your concerns at heart. If you go to China now, the chances are that you will get taken for a ride and all that you will probably experience during the time that you have spent gaining experience is a loss of self esteem and self respect. Do a degree course instead, you will most likely learn something far more usual and interesting.

Finally, don't ever risk getting one of those fake degree certificates like a certain 'Wooden Willy' poster on this board, China businesses/government offices are verifying diplomas these days, an older friend of mine went through a right load of ballache getting his degree verified by his uni after applying for a job, you need to give the exact title of the course etc, they actually are checking things properly it seems, although I had no problem whatsoever with mine for some reason. His degree is certainly real and he had issues, so I wouldn't fancy your chances with a fake one.

In the past in Beijing, you apparently used to be able to get a fake certificate anywhere around the various printing shops in Wudaokou for the equivalent of a few dollars and lots of teachers did that, but I reckon that just simply can't be done now. Well, not with a legitimate organisation anyway.

Messages In This Thread
EFL schools that will hire without a degree -- Jeffrey A Downs -- 2013-10-08
Re: EFL schools that will hire without a degree -- Jeffrey A Downs -- 2013-10-10
Re: EFL schools that will hire without a degree -- juanisaac -- 2013-10-10
Re: EFL schools that will hire without a degree -- Anton -- 2013-10-10
Re: EFL schools that will hire without a degree -- John O'Shei -- 2013-10-10
Re: EFL schools that will hire without a degree -- John O'Shei -- 2013-10-09
Re: EFL schools that will hire without a degree -- Necro -- 2013-10-09
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: EFL schools that will hire without a degree

Go to another board -