TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: WARNING ABOUT TEACHING CHINA!!!!
John O'Shei - 2013-10-21

During a recent random journey to a previously unexplored part of town, I actually found a place that weighs these bottles and gives out cash, saw an old woman arguing with them because they didn't give her the right amount for her bottles or whatever. I get tempted to go myself, but for the sake of recycling, which I am in the habit of doing (due to local laws) back home. Think that it might shock them a little though as this kind of thing is the preserve of the elderly and homeless, lol.

When I first arrived in China, I did get confused by my cleaning lady putting all of the plastic bottles into plastic bags and taking them away when a certain amount had been collected, like 3 or 4 bags full of something. Being in the colder north, I was able to not feel so concerned about roaches getting attracted to those bottles, whereas in southern locations, those bottles tend to get disposed of rather sharpish.

As for western people that are excessively sympathetic, I might be wrong about this but...

Just remember that these lower class, older people were around during the time of the cultural revolution and more or less taught to hate foreigners. Most of them probably still hate us and resent our presence. Not only that, but a lot of these bottle collectors are failed migrant workers, who actually have less legal rights to live in that city that you do as a foreigner. Therefore, I do lack in sympathy. Sorry.

Messages In This Thread
Re: WARNING ABOUT TEACHING CHINA!!!! -- John O'Shei -- 2013-10-21
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: WARNING ABOUT TEACHING CHINA!!!!

Go to another board -