TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Societies and cultures with traits of Oriental Despostism
Dragonized - 2013-11-24

Ever heard of "hua qiao ren", or those chinese who choose to live outside of China for varying reasons?

Ever heard of "Chinese Brit", "Asian American", "Chinese American"? These types of people see themselves as Canadian, American, British, etc. first. Westerners repeatedly make the mistake of giving them the wrong label of only "Chinese" when in fact the cultural paradigm, values, and philosophy towards life in general that these people follow have NOTHING Chinese about them! I have heard the jaded label of giving all Taiwanese people as being a "different breed of chinese" which at least some Taiwanese might find offensive. People who coincidentally fall into these various backgrounds are also given a label that is at least semi-racist called "banana". I'll leave you to figure that one out.

You seem so hell bent on giving out positive stereotypes that you still forget that Stereotypes in and of themselves are not accurate and insult the individualism of the person due to making assumptions about them before you even get to know them. Cutting off your own nose in a way, really. You have a large diaspora of people who are just as willing to contribute and be loyal since they are from the same place that you are from. But in the end your own naivety negates that. I seriously wonder when I look at these expat teachers working abroad if they even interact with minorities back home (yes, they do exist). For some people, it's like they had never met anyone who wasn't White before leaving the country.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Societies and cultures with traits of Oriental Despostism -- Jamie Overweight -- 2013-11-23
Re: Societies and cultures with traits of Oriental Despostism -- Dicky Bird -- 2013-11-24
Re: Societies and cultures with traits of Oriental Despostism -- Dragonized -- 2013-11-24
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Societies and cultures with traits of Oriental Despostism

Go to another board -