TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: China, Australia, UK, USA, etc: Corruption Perception Index 2013
John O'Shei - 2013-12-05

You can put forward as many graphs as you like. It really does not prove anything. I've lived in both China and Thailand, I did not study those countries from the comfort of some ivory tower like the think tank you mentioned.

Asia is way more corrupt than any mainstream Western society. Yes, there are corrupt politicians and businessmen in the West. However, usually they eventually get caught and brought to justice. Are you gonna try and tell me it's the same in China.................LOL!

Sometimes they just can't bring them to justice even if they wanted to.

In China, I think they are conscious that they need to at least look like they are doing something about it (god bless the internet), but it is so ingrained in the culture that they are aware that the problem can't be completely eradicated. I remember one great quote from a book (wish I could remember the book's details! - this post is errrmm... going to lack slightly in academic integrity, lol) that I read during some research that said something like "Even the mightiest dragon can not kill the local snake", in reference to the fact that the national government usually has very difficult time keeping control of those corrupt local officials. The interesting thing is that the original statement was apparently made not recently, but a few hundred years ago.

As for research... I have not only conducted relevant research in the past from more comfortable surroundings further away, but like you, I've lived in China also. It is often the case that the results of field research greatly contradict those of the literature review. I would definitely question the validity of their research.

Messages In This Thread
Re: China, Australia, UK, USA, etc: Corruption Perception Index 2013 -- John O'Shei -- 2013-12-05
Re: China, Australia, UK, USA, etc: Corruption Perception Index 2013 -- San Migs -- 2013-12-07
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: China, Australia, UK, USA, etc: Corruption Perception Index 2013

Go to another board -