TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Update - Another Mail from CUMT, Jiangsu, China
John O'Shei - 2013-12-23

What I don't like is how Chinese people still ask Western people if they know about the terrible things the Japanese did in China during the war. Well, yes, of course we know, most of us learnt about it in the first or second year of high school history class ( Nanjing ) And , yes, it was terrible, I'd say an act of pure evil even. However, there were also many atrocities in Malaysia, Philippines, Hong Kong, Singapore ( Changi ) Indonesia ( Ambon ) and PNG. The Chinese always think they were the only victims. If I tell them about the Battle of the Coral Sea of the coast of Australia most don't know about it. They don't know about the bombing (s ) of Darwin. They also don't know about "The Brisbane Line" and the hundreds of thousands of USA soldiers who were stationed in the city at the time.
WWII was a very scary time for EVERYONE is the Asia-Pacific region, not just the Chinese. Other Asian people just got on with it afterwards, although they will obviously never forget.

In comparison to other countries regardless of whether Japan eventually briefly colonised them or not, the Chinese just got raped basically. Pun intended, they often relied upon those wonderful strengths of nationalist arrogance and inferior technology, lol.

What's more, not only did other countries just crack on and get on with it after the war, Japan even got nuked and still went ahead and progressed. If it wasn't for cheap labour, the Chinese would still be struggling in a big way now.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Update - Another Mail from CUMT, Jiangsu, China -- John O'Shei -- 2013-12-23
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Update - Another Mail from CUMT, Jiangsu, China

Go to another board -