TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: On corruption in Mainland China Universities
John O'Shei - 2013-12-28
In response to Re: On corruption in Mainland China Universities (Dumper McFoodle)

You shouldn't all the time concentrate on the bad things in China. Here's something new and progressive. The new government are concerned with food wastage. So they have started policing village weddings. Ten at a table usually. Now you are restricted to five cold dishes and five hot dishes; this is new legislation. Very progressive legislation I say. The West could do very well to learn from the Chinese sometimes.

You sound like a Chinese 50 cent fan, but if you really are a westerner...

I severely doubt you've ever attended a real Chinese wedding prior to such new legislation (which you have failed to provide any kind of reference to). Also, do you expect the West to admire the Chinese for a whole 2 months of good work?

I also really doubt that that there's anything that West needs to learn from China in regards to wedding wastage. When I've attended wedding receptions back home, there's always been people taking home boxes of leftover sandwiches, vol au vents, cupcakes etc from the buffet, for the next day's packed lunch or breakfast. However, that would never happen in China as such behaviour would be usually viewed as greedy and ungrateful to the hosts! I remember the first wedding that I attended in China (after only about 2 weeks in the country), I wanted to take a couple of the half full bottles of baijiu, because I didn't want to waste them and they looked pretty expensive, but my friend discouraged me from doing so.

As much as the central government may have honourable intentions in clamping down on wastage, encouraging the use of doggy bags etc, I severely doubt that the cultural mindset of the nation's people will change overnight. Some people are belligerent little f**kers and those that have power and money can and will still bend the rules. I've seen this quite a few times, for example: Do you honestly think that smoking ban in Beijing ever gets fully applied when there's a man with certain connections in the place?

Besides who gives a toss about what happens in the villages, when the main offenders are the urban based people that feel no shame in flaunting their wealth.

Messages In This Thread
Re: On corruption in Mainland China Universities -- John O'Shei -- 2013-12-28
Re: On corruption in Mainland China Universities -- Dumper McFoodle -- 2013-12-28
Re: On corruption in Mainland China Universities -- John O'Shei -- 2013-12-28
Re: On corruption in Mainland China Universities -- sooty -- 2013-12-29
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: On corruption in Mainland China Universities

Go to another board -