TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: (VICE Magazine article) This could be what ESL in China needs...
John O'Shei - 2014-01-08

I like their vids about drugs and conspiracies and stuff, but this is a step too far, are you not white?

I am tired of this kind of crap being posted about foreign teachers......there are many good teachers, irrespective of skin colour!

Yes, I am white, even slightly proud of it (mainly for being a certain nice looking shade of white, than of a certain race, lol). OK, I will joke slightly about my family's boring non-multi-cultural heritage, but I don't feel ashamed about being white.

That stereotype on the Vice article is pretty much true... Getting shitty TC jobs is so easy when you are white. It tends to be less the case if you are Asian or Black, you are often forced to actually get a job based upon real teaching ability, it seems, although there are sad cases of people such as Africans, Fillipinos, Well educated Indians/Pakistanis doing jobs for ridiculously low salaries just to even get a job.

Then there's Russian students getting full rates at TCs for convincing those retard parents that don't have a clue. I remember the one that used to work at my old place. Her accent was far too sexy to ever be 'British', lol.

Anyway, Vice even went as far as to state:

While some are undoubtedly committed and great at what they do, many see these teaching jobs as an opportunity to live an easy life abroad while working only 20 hours a week—and quite possibly screwing up some kid's education while they're at it.
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: (VICE Magazine article) This could be what ESL in China needs...

Go to another board -