TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › To Jin: Ahh, Thailand......Screw this place - Teachers discussion
Rheno747 - 2005-08-25
In response to Hey Rheno! - Teachers discussion (JinChaFa)

Hey, Jin. Before considering Thailand, I want you to visualize this actual scenario:
A white-faced idiot (me) is standing in front of a high school class of 60 brown faces trying to teach them how to pronounce a word in English. About 40 are talking in Thai about some stupid shit that doesn't matter for anything, about 10 are reading comic books or sleeping. About 5 have gotten up and left for no reason and without permission. That leaves 5 students who are half-listening to your lecture, but are so distracted by all the chatter and clamour they can't really learn anything.

That's Thailand, buddy.
Do you want to come teach here? I sure as hell wouldn't if I were you.

What I'm saying is if you are a serious teacher who wants his kids to learn, avoid this place. Thailand has what has to be one of the world's worst education systems. At both my old high school and this college, no student fails. If you fail a student in Thailand, the grade will be changed to a passing grade later behind your back. Students know this is going on, so they have no real reason to study anything. And believe me, they don't. They know they'll be fine later even if they never come to class, always goof off when they actually DO go to class, and/or never do any work inside the class or outside that class that's assigned by their teachers.

Teachers are truly powerless in Thailand. If they ever try to 'force' their students to actually do work, the students will bitch and moan to the administration, and the teachers will then hear about it from their higher-ups.

This isn't a problem to Thai teachers. They've always lived with this crap and know no different.

However, it's a great big ol' problem for that white face (again, me) from the west who grew up in a Puritan education system. I don't think I've ever been as aggravated at any time in my life as I've been here. And to think I bought my plane ticket to come here and paid for my TESOL course with my very own money so I could teach these dumbasses. Now I know who REALLY was the dumbass--ME. Damn I was an idiot for thinking these people actually wanted to learn English. What they really want here are white-faced babysitters. You don't need it. Don't make the same mistake I made, Jin. Stay away from here.

I wish I could bring some of my old grade-school teachers here to teach for a week. They'd have ulcers in two days and be screaming for me to take them to the airport as fast as I could possibly get them there.

Thai people aren't really what I'd call 'good people', either. After getting to know how Thai people REALLY are under their phony smiles, I know I won't be back after I get on that jet that finally takes me home. For one thing, family members are cruel to each other--what I'd call child abuse and wife abuse is common here. Too common.

As far as Hat Yai goes, I'd avoid it. Hat Yai is in the far south. At present, there's unrest in that area--the Muslims are pissed off at the Prime Minister and are shooting people at random. It's not common, mind you, but it's just another stupid shit problem you'll have to deal with here. I wouldn't go down there, myself. Not because I'd be afraid of getting shot, but because I'd be angry at myself later for taking that risk to teach a bunch of idiots who don't wanna learn (and have no real reason to learn) to begin with.

Do you want to take that risk?

Look into Korea or Singapore.

Thanks for asking ME. Lots of people will try to debunk what I and some of my friends have to say about this place. Those guys are simply recruiters who have a vested interest in suckering you into coming to this shithole. Ignore them.

Good luck, Jin.

RhenoA380, lighthouse of truth

Messages In This Thread
Thailand immigration question - Teachers discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2005-08-24
Hey Rheno! - Teachers discussion -- JinChaFa -- 2005-08-24
To Jin: Ahh, Thailand......Screw this place - Teachers discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2005-08-25
Why native English teachers? - Teachers discussion -- BD -- 2005-08-25
That is the case here, sure - Teachers discussion -- RhenoA380 -- 2005-08-27
I have seen this - Teachers discussion -- Ratcheed -- 2005-08-25
Slackness rules -- Winnie -- 2005-08-25
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › To Jin: Ahh, Thailand......Screw this place - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -