TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Sounds all too familiar - Teachers discussion
Xue - 2005-09-08
In response to The money laundro-mat - Teachers discussion (RhenoA380)

I had a similar experience teaching at this "training center" called Web International in Suzhou, China. All of my students were well-off adults who wanted to learn English to get a better job (which just means more $$$).
They weren't very interested in going through the long and time-consuming process of learning the language, oh, no...
They simply thought that by giving big bucks for their lessons that they would become fluent overnight. Well, when that didn't work, guess what they did? Yep, you got it! They blamed it on the teacher. Surprise, surprise.
And after each class, I, the teacher had to grade them in their little booklet checking off the box that ranged from excellent to repeat. Well, some people that I recommended to repeat a single class didn't seem to agree. Anyway, I only did it for their benefit and they wouldn't have to pay extra to repeat since the whole package was pre-paid. I think it wouldn't be nice to pass them and lie to them that they're doing well when they're not. It wouldn't be funny if they all finished the course thinking they have a good command of English when they can't even answer a simply question like what are your likes and dislikes? I had this guy pointing to his legs everytime I said likes, I even wrote the word on the board, but ARGH! He just didn't have a clue! So, back to the point, the head of Web got angry with me for telling some students to repeat and said I and the other teachers are no longer allowed to check off that box. It was all about money, you know? Checking off that box meant that the students would just ask for a refund and walk away.
But that's not everything. The final straw was when I asked for a new visa, the school told me everything under the sun that was wrong with me (all lies) to save face from the fact that their school is not legally allowed to hire foreigners, so they could not extend my visa!
I see they are always looking for teachers now. I hope nobody else works for them. They will just use you. Their program is garbage.

Messages In This Thread
Raffles Lasalle Shanghai -- Andy -- 2004-08-09
Re: Raffles Lasalle Shanghai -- Lily -- 2004-08-23
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Sounds all too familiar - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -