TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: missionaries on campus
John O'Shei - 2014-02-21
In response to Re: missionaries on campus (martin)

From student feedback, there is no doubt that our missionary/teaching staff are interested in converts to their particular Christian sects. My posting was an effort to determine if our campus was unusual in the prevalence of this activity. I am fascinated by the tacit acceptance of this activity by our party-mass-line administration; several posters have mentioned that it is certainly officially illegal in China for foreigners to attempt to convert native Chinese. I could care less about religious activity, domestic or foreign. Students are already routinely damaged by parents and traditional Chinese education. A few foreign devils have marginal impact.
Chinese administration are masters at what I call 'elephant in the room' management: everyone knows about some particular issue, but it remains unspoken in meetings and official communication. It's fascinating when the elephant is garbed in vestments.

Oh so true... I effectively got into trouble for blowing the whistle on the sexual harassment of younger female members of staff at one place. Was not quite so aware of the 'blame the victim' culture back then.

But you know what? I'd rather merely be aware of such cultural differences than unconditionally accept them.

So, as for the guy that got angry... F**k you, you third world uncivilised prick. Yes, I'm being snobby and I feel no shame about being selectively prejudiced to those whose ethics are inferior and backwards. My foreign management skills are hired for a reason. If you don't like it, don't hire me!

Anyway, when it comes to this 'elephant in the room management'... Many a foreign manager just loves watching dishonest employees squirm. It is yet even more amusing when some of them face disciplinary action. I'm not just talking about my own experience, but those of other guys that I know.

Messages In This Thread
Re: missionaries on campus -- martin -- 2014-02-21
Re: missionaries on campus -- John O'Shei -- 2014-02-21
Re: missionaries on campus -- Bob Harley -- 2014-02-21
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: missionaries on campus

Go to another board -