TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › The way of the world - Teachers discussion
RhenoA380 - 2005-09-12
In response to hogwan? - Teachers discussion (WTF)

Let me tell you my definition of a hogwan. Please remember my version comes from what I personally encountered.

My hogwan was an after-school 'cram-school' students (most were fairly wealthy at the very least) attended to practice their English reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills. My particular 'wan took up the entire seventh floor of a seven-story building in a suburb. It was surrounded by other multi-story buildings, many of which contained other 'wans, judging by the noise coming from their open windows and the white faces coming to, and going from, their towering heights.

When I got off the elevator at the seventh floor to enter my 'wan each day, it had a 'reception area' in front with a desk and computer, and 8 small classrooms fanning out from the reception desk. Each classroom had a window, an elliptical table, and 10-16 chairs, depending on the size and purpose of the room. There was, of course, a whiteboard in each room as well.

My schedule ran from 4:30 to 9:00 (4 1/2 hours straight teaching--no breaks) every afternoon/evening, five days a week (M-F). Each class was 50 minutes long, and I'd see students who ranged in age from younger high school kids down to about 7 or 8-year-olds. The older students were very, very good in all areas of English. The younger kids were somewhat weak in speaking and listening, but were strong in reading and writing.

The 'older' kids were very mature and didn't give me problems. The younger kids, though, were simply uncontrollable. Sure, I 'could' have controlled them, but it wasn't my job. Discipline and respect are instilled by parents and applied by students in the classroom, so they should have known better.

Even though I left my first job, I realize the reasons for my leaving were at least partly my own fault. I didn't ask enough questions of the 'wan's director before accepting the offer. Overall, I think SK is a great place to go--just be sure to ask all the right questions, and hold off on signing a contract until you check out your new job first.

I'm still 'under contract' at my 'won, so I'll have to wait until my contract expires before going back. When it does, I'll go to Seoul and look around for a job teaching at a college or some corporation (adult students). If I find one I like, I'll sign a contract and go to work for a while. If I don't, I'll try one of the other 'four tigers'.

As far as Thailand goes, it's an aquired taste. I've heard of folks teaching here, but they always have done the same thing--leave. It doesn't matter if they liked it or hated it, they didn't stay, so they aren't around anymore. My opinion is, if it were such a great place in their eyes, they'd still be here teaching.

Thailand is a taste I won't acquire. I grew up in a puritan education system where students were expected to respect teachers, do homework, and study, study, study. That got me a great education. Unfortunately, Thailand doesn't follow that model. Academics takes the back seat here, and it's tough for me to accept it. I know what can be accomplished in the classrooms if students make up their minds and try. Thai kids won't try--that's the big problem here. Cheating and slackness are the way of the world in Thailand. If you're an 'easy-going' teacher who doesn't plan on doing the TEFL thing for long and/or doesn't intend to stay here long, Thailand is a good place to go kill some time. If you're a serious teacher who wants to do the TEFL thing for a while, see students succeed because of their own efforts, and get paid a decent salary, Thailand isn't the place for you. You will only get aggravated and leave like so many have left in years past.

I hope this helps.

Messages In This Thread
Life after teaching? - Teachers discussion -- WTF -- 2005-09-09
Two cents worth - Teachers discussion -- RhenoA380 -- 2005-09-11
Let's make it four cents - Teachers discussion -- T. Shaw -- 2005-09-11
hogwan? - Teachers discussion -- WTF -- 2005-09-11
The way of the world - Teachers discussion -- RhenoA380 -- 2005-09-12
And that's good.....if you like teaching kids - Teachers discussion -- RhenoA380 -- 2005-09-12
Burn out - Teachers discussion -- DB -- 2005-09-10
My 'plan' - Teachers discussion -- RhenoA380 -- 2005-09-11
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › The way of the world - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -