TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: ESL Employment: Is ESL employment in the doldrums?
juanisaac - 2014-02-26

But also you have to factor in that you get what you paid for. Why should good, qualified teachers earn bottom dollar when they can earn so much more somewhere else? My old middle school was offerring 5,000 Yuan per month last year for their foreign teacher. My ex-F.A.O. then complained to me that they could find no one. Duh, they were offering what I earned four years ago. They increased their salary to 6,000 now.

Also, some universities are looking to land non-English language teachers with an M.A. with the same 5,000 Yuan salary. And in the end they get the first person in the door or somebody from "German Cameroon." Cameroon was a colony of Germany before W.W.I before it later became "British Cameroon." (The Africans can an "A' for enterprise.)

The Chinese are pretty cheap and I doubt they will try to compete on the open market for good teachers unless they offer higher salaries.

Messages In This Thread
ESL Employment: Is ESL employment in the doldrums? -- John O'Shei -- 2014-02-24
Re: ESL Employment: Is ESL employment in the doldrums? -- juanisaac -- 2014-02-26
Re: ESL Employment: Is ESL employment in the doldrums? -- Ever -- 2014-02-27
Re: ESL Employment: Is ESL employment in the doldrums? -- giver or taker? -- 2014-02-27
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: ESL Employment: Is ESL employment in the doldrums?

Go to another board -