TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: WW wants to open up an "alternative ESL TB"
John O'Shei - 2014-03-05

I agree with you that the problem is systematic. China and it's education system could both have a decent future if all the bad apples were removed. It was the unwillingness of people to try and change anything in China that really used to annoy me. It's just the same crap every year, and the "corporatization" of education in China is something I still find to be sinister and disgusting.
Why can't there be a really strong leader in the education field who just says, "enough is enough". Get rid of all these useless training schools, "private learning centres", IELTS training centres, etc, etc.

Also ,training school staff should be forbidden from installing and handing out advertising material at Chinese universities, and the "leaders" of such universities should tell them to piss off in no uncertain terms.

Part of the problem is that those within the system often benefit from such problems. A strong leader is definitely needed as they will face a lot of resistance.

I know of a public high school teacher that wanted to recruit me to teach part-time at her training centre that she ran with her husband on the side, several local teachers receive grey income as a result of providing private tuition, there are teachers that receive hefty kickbacks from training schools, study tours etc. The training centre that I used to work for, even sent us out to high schools to promote the centre to the students.

I have heard rumours that many within the government actually want to ban training centres, PSB officials will often make it hard for training schools to get legitimate visas, but I feel that the actual real change that is needed, will never actually happen in my lifetime.

One thing that they may need to do, is pay teachers more yet apply stricter rules to them. Some teachers earn far too little to fund the kind of lifestyle that they may desire, thus corruption will come into play.

Messages In This Thread
Re: WW wants to open up an "alternative ESL TB" -- John O'Shei -- 2014-03-05
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: WW wants to open up an "alternative ESL TB"

Go to another board -