TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: WW wants to open up an "alternative ESL TB"
San Migs - 2014-03-07

HK is still a bit of an enigma to me, As a financial centre- a legacy of the British - it may well see it's influence eroded by Shanghai , which of course is controlled by the Party.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I suppose it can be a mysterious place, but I am no longer there. Yes, it's influence is being lost to Shanghai, and the RMB which was stronger than the HKD last time I was there, and an ever increasing amount of mainland shoppers and tourists to the city. The scmp has been running a few stories on this HK vs Mainland China story. They are trying to get a vote for universal suffrage in I think 2017 also.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1441953/npc-chairman-warns-against-western-style-democracy-hong-kong

To be honest, I do think it is a bit hypocritical for the UK consulate in HK to intervene on this affair, when it was a crown colony it was never a democracy, not at least until Patten ushered in some reform and tried to make things more transparent during his last years of rule.

Have a good day
SMGS

Messages In This Thread
Re: WW wants to open up an "alternative ESL TB" -- San Migs -- 2014-03-07
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: WW wants to open up an "alternative ESL TB"

Go to another board -