TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › KNES and other Kuwait schools - Teachers discussion
Robin Day - 2005-09-19
In response to Mr Fred Flinstone.... - Teachers discussion (Dr Anthony)

I took a job in Kuwait last year as I had always wanted to try teaching in the Middle East. What I found was worse than I had heard about earlier.

Basically the families have a lot of money but are getting a second rate education. Why? I think they settle for very little and are happy to accept an F upgraded to an A by the stroke of a pen by admin. Again, why? I'll let the parents answer that.

Most of the Foreign Schools in Kuwait are schools for profit, just like in Asia, and so they only pretend to be like Western government Schools. There is a lot of bullying of staff and thus a big turnover. I witnessed it myself and the racism based on colour (local or foreigner) that infects the whole country.

The biggest problem in Kuwait stems from family life. The kids are spoiled and not disciplined and both the parents and the government do not want foreign teachers to do their job and the job involves discipline in school. The general feeling is that Kuwait citizens are rich (not all) and that they will not be disciplined by any foreigners even those who are hired into positions of authority and professionalism. I find east Asia quite different. Parents and kids know know their role.
Socially I liked Kuwait. It is opening up gradually.

Messages In This Thread
Kuwait National English School -- CB -- 2004-12-06
Re: Kuwait National English School -- Christopher -- 2008-02-27
Kuwait National English School -- Poppy Parkes -- 2005-02-07
Think Twice (If its a good offer....) -- A Suffering Student -- 2005-01-16
kuwait national english school -- buffy the vampire slayer -- 2005-01-09
Kuwait National English School -- Susan -- 2004-12-22
KNES -- Fred Flintstone -- 2005-01-08
Great school Link -- anthony -- 2005-01-22
KNES -- wyn -- 2005-02-06
Give KNES a break! -- Jake Hammond -- 2005-02-07
knes good or bad -- previous teacher -- 2005-02-12
KNES? - Teachers Discussion -- Arabian Knight -- 2007-04-02
Re KNES? - Teachers Discussion -- lerc -- 2011-02-16
realy funy -- knes -- 2005-02-07
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › KNES and other Kuwait schools - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -