TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › I am a walking billboard - Teachers discussion
Rheno747 - 2005-09-21

I don't know why you guys believe we're actually supposed to be TEACHING in places like Asia.

Why would you think this? Isn't it obvious what we're doing over here?

Let me fill you in.

Our primary role is to help Asian schools sell themselves. That means we, with our cute white faces, are nothing but walking billboards for these 'institutions' to rake in more tuition money.

My school has lots of pamphlets going out this week in a new recruiting drive. On the cover is a picture of our 'world-class English faculty'--a group of about nine whiteys, eight of which aren't even here anymore. In fact, we've gone through a cycle of turnover since the pic was taken. The folks who replaced those eight faces are themselves no longer with us. Of course, I find myself among those who took THEIR places a few short weeks ago.

The secondary role we play, of course, is that of babysitter. You don't think Asian kids intend to come to our schools and STUDY, do you?

Welcome to the real world.

Messages In This Thread
I am a walking billboard - Teachers discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2005-09-21
Rheno:Don't forget China! - Teachers discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2005-09-21
Actually, I'm teaching at a college - Teachers discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2005-09-21
why go through this - Teachers discussion -- Gary -- 2005-09-21
Leave and recharge yourself - Teachers discussion -- BD -- 2005-09-21
Another reason - Teachers discussion -- RhenoA340 -- 2005-09-22
I know - Teachers discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2005-09-21
Ask not how much you can get, ask how much you, yourself, can offer! - Teachers discussion -- Alex Wu -- 2006-02-02
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › I am a walking billboard - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -