TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Rheno:Don't forget China! - Teachers discussion
Yingwen Laoshi - 2005-09-21

Hi RT

If you're fed up of teaching kids, why not consider working at a teachers college? I've just started teaching at one here in China. It's early, but so far I've been encouraged with my experience in the classroom.

The vast majority of students are young women who more often make much better students than young men. Secondly they all seem eager to study and really improve their English skills. That leads on to the third point, because the majority are training to be English teachers.

So these students have a real goal, and very good motives for improving their English skills. Their English level is the highest I've encountered in China. You can reason with these guys and they understand clearly.

I'm spending the first week trying to get them to let me know how they want me to help them reach their goals. In other words, I've been encouraging each student to write down specifically what skills they want to improve and which class activities will help them. The feedback is excellent. This is a great change from teaching, boisterous, restless primary/ middle students, who don't even know why they're in the classroom.

These are the students I've been aching for. Those that have a real go, and know what they need ( or at least have some idea), to reach their goal.

I'd recommend you finding adults or college students. Students with real goals in Thailand.If you can't find them over there, consider hopping over to China. The standard is not great here, but from what I've heard, where you are sounds a lot worse.

I don't want to speak to soon. I know the first week is often the best. I'll keep you updated on what's happening here.

Don't worry about the trolls. I, and I'm sure many others appreciate your honest straight forward information, that lets people know how it REALLY is.That sort of information is of real value.

YT

Messages In This Thread
I am a walking billboard - Teachers discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2005-09-21
Rheno:Don't forget China! - Teachers discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2005-09-21
Actually, I'm teaching at a college - Teachers discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2005-09-21
why go through this - Teachers discussion -- Gary -- 2005-09-21
Leave and recharge yourself - Teachers discussion -- BD -- 2005-09-21
Another reason - Teachers discussion -- RhenoA340 -- 2005-09-22
I know - Teachers discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2005-09-21
Ask not how much you can get, ask how much you, yourself, can offer! - Teachers discussion -- Alex Wu -- 2006-02-02
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Rheno:Don't forget China! - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -