TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › What can be done? - Teachers discussion
Yingwen Laoshi - 2005-09-24
In response to Re: HeyBD, Jinchafa - Teachers discussion (jinchafa)

I understand your point about low pay, Jinchafa.I myself, as many people who have read my previous posts on this forum know, am a strong advocate for fair wages for foreign teachers, especially for myself!

Many a time, over the three years I've been in China, I've considered working in a college or university, but have nearly always been put off by the low salaries offered; often only 3000- 4000 RMB a month. I wouldn't work for that amount.

Why these places of learning often pay low salaries, I just don't know. What I do know is that my school campus often looks like a car showroom, with the fleet of spanking new luxury cars that the leaders are cruising around in. The implication is these places are not usually short of a bob or two!

My wage is higher than is commonly offered in a college. If it wasn't, I wouldn't be here. I also take into account the fact that I take sixteen, 45 minute lessons a week, which is considerably less than is commonly taken in primary, middle or high schools.

I think it's a great pity that most of the best environments to teach are given the cold shoulder, and quite rightly so I must add, by many good teachers because the salaries are too low.They are denying their students access to many excellent teachers. It seems to me that they (colleges etc.), definitely have the means to pay higher wages.

The only reason I can think why salaries offered are so low, is the fact that schools know they will always find SOMEBODY who will accept them. If that's the case who REALLY is to blame for these conditions?

Messages In This Thread
hey Rheno - Teachers discussion -- jinchafa -- 2005-09-22
Jin, hook up with.... - Teachers discussion -- RhenoA340 -- 2005-09-23
Hey BD, Jinchafa - Teachers discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2005-09-23
Re: HeyBD, Jinchafa - Teachers discussion -- jinchafa -- 2005-09-24
What can be done? - Teachers discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2005-09-24
I've seen that - Teachers discussion -- Rheno757 -- 2005-09-24
Great! - Teachers discussion -- BD -- 2005-09-23
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › What can be done? - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -