TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Beware of Han Bao Electronics (Sandy)--Job in Quanzhou - Teachers discussion
taurus - 2006-01-31

Dear teachers,

Please beware of the following ad posted on tefl.net: http://www.tefl.net/esl-jobs/esl-jobs.pl?noframes;read=3999

They have also placed ads elsewhere on the net, asking for a couple preferrably.

This ad is placed by a very rich lady named Sandy, who is trying to hire private English teachers for herself, her kids and family. My boyfriend and I had already made arrangements with her to work for her in Quanzhou before we came to China. The reason why we bought our plane tickets to come to Fujian province was because she had already agreed to hire us. She was very eager to meet us, and even urged us to come as soon as possible. This was back in October 2005, and at the time she used a Canadian (who was also her employee) to recruit teachers for her. They promised us a nice salary and free housing, including an end-of-year bonus.

I had already arrived in Xiamen, where she said she would meet us, and then take us to Quanzhou. I arrived a couple days earlier, and was waiting for my boyfriend to fly over when she suddenly decided that she no longer wanted to hire foreign teachers. Just like that. When my boyfriend arrived in Xiamen, we had to stay in hotels and spend a lot of money. We would not have even come to China if we knew she would do this to us. How can someone do this to foreigners and just shrug it off, expecting to get away with it? She caused us to spend so much money we didn't have, and we have been struggling to get by ever since. Jobs in Xiamen are few and far between, and none of them can grant you working visas except for a few universities that are already saturated with foreign teachers.

I wish there was some way to "repay" her for her thoughtlessness. :(
We hope none of this ever happens to anyone else, and at the same time, I would like to warn everyone about this Sandy lady and the company she works for (Han Bao Electronics).

Happy Spring Festival.

Messages In This Thread
Beware of Han Bao Electronics (Sandy)--Job in Quanzhou - Teachers discussion -- taurus -- 2006-01-31
Make the Employer Pay for the Flight or No GO - Teachers Discussion -- Robin Day -- 2006-06-20
True. But there's a catch, as always. - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U -- 2006-06-20
I did what Rheno suggests:reimbursement - Teachers Discussion -- Robin Day B.Sc. M.Sc. B.Ed. -- 2006-06-21
That's one thing I've not been able to get out of people -- Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U -- 2006-06-21
Rheno Rheno Rheno -- Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. -- 2006-06-21
Between you, Robin, and my new colleague here...... - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-06-23
Misconception Rheno, Korea, China and Japan - Teachers Discussion -- Robin Day -- 2006-06-25
My days here could be numbered.... - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U -- 2006-06-28
Re: flights - Teachers Discussion -- DB -- 2006-06-20
Go there first, absolutely. - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U -- 2006-06-21
Rheno is right: Be prepared to Leave. - Teachers Discussion -- Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. -- 2006-06-21
I hope that SK door is still open. - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U -- 2006-06-22
DB I agree with your Plan - Teachers Discussion -- Robin Day -- 2006-06-20
Beware of Capital Language School in Zhongshan! - Teachers discussion -- Alex Wu -- 2006-02-01
Flora Xu is a slave driver - Teachers Discussion -- Alex Jade -- 2006-06-18
Alex Jade or Alex Wimp - Teachers Discussion -- Dragon Slayer -- 2006-06-18
Agreed. And some of us already know we have spines going in. - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-06-19
need help to get a teaching position - Teachers Discussion -- Francis Tang -- 2006-06-05
My latest English lesson--a series and a bulleted list - Teachers discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-02-01
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Beware of Han Bao Electronics (Sandy)--Job in Quanzhou - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -