TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Laowai, a respective word! - Teachers discussion
Alex Wu - 2006-02-01
In response to Yes Mic... (Chinaman)

Hi, LaoWai!

'Chinaman' was first heard in Hollywood films by those illiterate westerners. Why you as an English teacher use it to the Chinese people you met?
Do you call you people 'Yankee's?

We say: "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." Can't you show off your happy face instead of a gray,long one?

I was born a Chinese. Before I went back, I had never seen any of the 'great scenes' in China, except those in pictures. People there are very curious about anything. Not many have subjected to western-style education. They don't know that swarming around you has violated your privacy. Especially in the interior, lots haven't seen a foreigner before. As a tourist, since you are seeking for fun, if you were wearing a smile, trying to be more friendly and associable, you'll be more welcomed.

There's an English saying: "When you smile, it seems that the whole world smiles to you; but if you cry, you cry alone!" In China, remember, since the Chinese were thought to be so nosy, they might come to your rescue, and ask what they can do for you.

Messages In This Thread
Racism and ESL teaching in China. Would you still apply? -- Whiteman -- 2005-02-14
Racism in China, Etc. -- Hangzhou Teacher -- 2005-02-14
Racism in China - Do foreigners bring this upon themselves? -- An Inquiring Mind -- 2005-02-15
There is Racism in ... -- An Inquiring Mind -- 2005-02-15
The "Laowai", Racism and Personal Space in China -- An Inquiring Mind -- 2005-02-15
What's wrong, Laowai? -- Chunping Alex Wu -- 2005-02-16
Response -- Mic -- 2005-02-18
Laowai does not mean anything bad in a friendly way -- Alex Wu -- 2005-02-19
Yes Mic... -- Chinaman -- 2005-02-18
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Laowai, a respective word! - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -