TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Stay away from SHANE school in Dongying, Shandong Province
Mushroomcloudlayinmuthafucka - 2014-08-05

During the time before my arrival to China, I was promised a free apartment. When I arrived, I was bluntly told that I would have to actually pay for my apartment. That didn't sit right with me, but I stuck around because I wanted a new experience. Damn idiots don't even let you sleep for a day after a near 20 hour flight, which just demonstrates their willingness to strive for ignorance. Prior to my arrival, I was told I had about a month before I needed to be in China. That all changed, when they said can you be here in 2 weeks due to "an emergency" - this was made possible by the school telling me to sign my own medical report when it clearly stated Doctor's Signature. I completed my training with another guy, whom was told to hit the road after completion of aforementioned training for no legitimate reason. So about that training.... well...... "worthless" pretty much sums it up. They force an 11 step structure on you, while stating to bring as much creativity to the classroom as you can. The school offers boring workshops every other week, which at best, are good for learning a new game you can play in your class. Generally half of the teachers would actually show up, and twiddle their thumbs for 2 hours. This is ESL teaching and there's no need to complicate it, but the school does just that by stretching out classes between morning and evening. The head teacher wasn't worth getting to know. Really a stale cracker in my opinion, and not really respected by the other foreign teachers. His philosophy is to invest as much time into your classes, while disregarding the fact that you're in a foreign country where you should be spending any free time exploring and trying new things. Upon my arrival, the manager Maggie told me to stay away from certain teachers because they're trouble. That's completely unprofessional and simply a close-minded statement. Quite some time into my teaching job with this school (sorry couldn't type career because I have standards) Maggie picked a fight with a teacher whom had only asked a basic question about his contract, where she spurted out the words "F#ck you, you bastard". Speaking of contracts, the contract is bogus and changes from teacher to teacher because of corruption. If they do offer you anything, they just reimburse themselves by lessening your salary - LMFAO!!! If you're considering teaching here, please spend some time looking at other schools and checking into their pay because my research abroad has proven that its quite low. They pretend the cost of living is super low, but its generally super low everywhere so don't buy into that lie. You will also deal with Kimi if you come to this school. This guy is worthless and I would be surprised if he was actually capable of even working on an assembly line screwing caps onto tubes of toothpaste. He did a great job of finding me a filthy apartment for nearly double the price of the other teachers apartment.

View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Stay away from SHANE school in Dongying, Shandong Province

Go to another board -