TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › He's not a christian, and he's a student at Notre Dame. - Teachers discussion
Rheno747 - 2006-02-16

That sounds like a song.

Hey, I thought one HAD to be a christian to be admitted to Notre Dame! Just kidding.

It sounds like to me you're being pulled in two different directions. One direction leads to teaching. The other, to paying off your loans. This is because most TEFL jobs, at least in Asia, will pay you just about enough to get your loans paid off in, say, 25 YEARS. No, the asthma won't be a limiting factor. Your paycheck each month will.

Look into teaching in South Korea, especially if you enjoy teaching kids. South Korean students are motivated, which is the reason you'll be teaching so many kids. Most 8-year-old kids there have the fluency (because they have WORKED at it) my Thai students haven't reached at 21 years of age (because they've not worked at it).

You'll also get paid pretty well in South Korea. This means you may be able to get your loans paid off in a few years instead of a few decades like you will if you go to China or Thailand.

When you find a job in South Korea, you'll probably be offered a flight reimbursement as part of an incentive. Do it up. Some schools will even offer to pay you an end-of-contract bonus when you finish up a contract. A bonus you can use for a return flight back home if you wish. This deal is unheard of where I teach, the great land of Thai, a deal I wish I would have known about two years ago.

So. Higher pay, flight reimbursements, better students, and plentiful western-style pharmacies that stock asthma medication. And you don't even need a TESOL--just the desire you already possess and a real bachelor's degree.

Go for it.

Messages In This Thread
Hello There. (introduction of an aspiring teacher) - Teachers discussion -- IrishFire81 -- 2006-02-15
He's not a christian, and he's a student at Notre Dame. - Teachers discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-02-16
re: - Teachers discussion -- IrishFire81 -- 2006-02-16
Thailand is, well,......... -- Rheno747 -- 2006-02-17
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › He's not a christian, and he's a student at Notre Dame. - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -