TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
· Previous · Next Return to Index › Chinese S1 Visa for Child Born in China
Daley - 2014-09-02

Hi there, I hope someone can be of help to me in regards the below.

I am a British Citizen, my wife is Chinese and we have a young child who was born in China. All three of us are currently in the UK with my wife and child travelling on their Chinese passports with a British 6 month family visitor visa (C-type). While we are in the UK i will be applying to get my child a British passport which will be relatively straight forward. However, when we go back to China in 2015 my hope is that my child will be able to travel on said British passport on an S1 Chinese visa (I will of course be applying for a Chinese Z visa). My main concern is the Chinese authorities unwillingness to recognize my child's dual nationality. To get the S1 visa i will need to provide proof of my relationship to my child namely via a birth certificate -which is of course a Chinese birth certificate, stating that my child was born in China and therefore in the eyes of the Chinese authorities my child is to be considered Chinese and only Chinese.

Will my child's request for an S1 visa be immediately refused?
Will the Chinese authorities state that my child needs to travel back to China on his Chinese passport and reside there as a Chinese citizen?
Has anyone else had experience of this situation?

As a family we only plan to stay in China for another 18months before permanently relocating to the UK. I'd prefer my child to travel on the British passport to avoid the hassle and cost of having to apply for a British visa again especially given that my child is, in our eyes anyway, a British Citizen.

· Previous · Next Return to Index › Chinese S1 Visa for Child Born in China

Go to another board -