TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › DR. YANNI & MR. GERARD - Teachers discussion
The Arrogant One - 2006-03-04

Gentlemen ... I do thank you for your timely communiqus.

DR. ZACK -- Please know that I have long been a fan of your column, while I am certain that you have made a marked difference in the direction of some of your younger and less experienced readership.
On the other hand, let me assure that, at age 68, I've been around the block at least a few times. Yes, I've already engaged in the rles of course developer & administrator (Japan-1991-93), ESL consultant (USA-2000) ... even as a university instructor (Brazil & Israel - 1969-71).

With such a sterling rsum at hand, one might think that, at this late date, I am both rich and contented. Regrettably, I must report that I am neither.

MR. CALLAHAN -- As nothing is perfect, I agree that we seniors are forced to tolerate our fair share of the more disagreeable aspects of life. However, I find that mere memories of those "better times" are not enough to sustain this senior during his aging procedure! Granted, people like me may tend to whine a bit more than is reasonable. And, for the sake of survival, I agree that trudging on is essential, b-u-t with the exception of maintaining an objective, hopes, and aspirations ... just like young folks. ( ;) no malice intended on my part, sir)

Excuse me, gentlemen (and other ESL brethren), but getting older in the ESL biz does NOT have to represent one's willingly falling into the usual pattern of rejection ... especially when he/she has retained a lifetime of knowledge and expertise complemented by a reasonable degree of sanity! That's my argument. So, what will it take to change the f#@!*&g attitudes of most of those in charge of the system ... political influence, bribery, or threat of violence? The thing that bothers me the most is the national attitude towards old geezers like me--that, by this time, I should have been long retired! I also get a kick out of their :? looks when I tell them I'm still quite active within the job marketplace...moreover, that such desire is the direct result of a long-inexplicable love affair with the teaching of ESL.

Aye, everyone ... This Barkus is (still) willin'!

I remain,

THE ARROGANT ONE

Messages In This Thread
I, for one, am sick to hell of bias in the ESL marketplace! - Teachers discussion -- The Arrogant One -- 2006-03-01
less is more - Teachers discussion -- Aging Also -- 2006-04-20
RE: Aging in ESL - Teachers Discussion -- The Arrogant One -- 2006-05-11
The Arrogant One - Teachers Discussion -- Mingong -- 2007-03-30
Aging Teachers - Teachers Discussion -- Bob the middle aged lonere -- 2006-05-04
DR. YANNI & MR. GERARD - Teachers discussion -- The Arrogant One -- 2006-03-04
Bias in the ESL Marketplace - Teachers discussion -- Dr. Yanni Zack- ESL Teaching Tips and Strategies -- 2006-03-03
...be brave; face your age! - Teachers discussion -- Gerard Callahan -- 2006-03-03
Unfortunately.... - Teachers discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-03-04
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › DR. YANNI & MR. GERARD - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -