TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
· Previous · Next Return to Index › What's this "age" issue all about ... REALLY? - Teachers discussion
The Arrogant One - 2006-03-05

To continue my bitching over bias in the ESL biz, let me now attempt to explore WHY so many schools are hesitant when it comes to hiring us pass types in preference of younger and less experienced personnel.

First off, one would normally presume that older teachers have a great deal more to offer to any school and would, therefore, serve as a definite advantage when it comes to creation, interpretation, presentation, and in-class enforcement of related ESL material. But, regrettably, such is more often not the case ... at least, according to the observations of this weary trooper. Granted, younger instructors are able to strike a more contemporary chord with the average student populace, but there is no guarantee that such popularity will assure accomplishment of student academic goals. Granted, I've witnessed some mighty amusing in-class comical acts on the part of some teachers, but in the final analysis, all the boisterous laughter amounts to comparatively little. Don't get me wrong, folks ... popularity is a super advantage for any instructor, however it can be a blight when a student's only reference to his teacher is that "He's a funny guy" with little or no reference to his ability as an educator! Hell ... I wouldn't mind being looked upon as an s.o.b., just so long as I'm likewise considered a great teacher! But, when you get right down to it, ESL schools are primarily interested in keeping their students happy ... ergo, their parents, alias the paying customers. That's one reason for their support of the younger set of professors. So, what about those let's-get-down-to-business "Professor Kingsfield" types? Gone with the wind, I fear ... like the TV series.

Second of all, I've noticed the number of middle-aged instructors who will invariably be the ones elected to formally protest about the sad conditions within a school. This is because most of the younger teachers are primarily on board to obtain some much-needed experience before moving on to better posts here or abroad ... or even to graduate school. As a result, it is the older teacher who will all too often wind up with the reputation as a trouble maker! And, make no mistake about it: that type of reputation does follow!

Third, instructors over the age of 50 tend to scare the hell out of many ESL employers. Reason: the question of health, ergo the larger issues of dependability and longevity. Despite the fact that so many younger teachers are replaced from year to year, older age is all too often associated with health issues and, therefore, avoided from the start. Yet, it has been proven over and over that teachers over 50--even over 60--are more anxious to keep on working, and will subsequently maintain a more stable record of stick-to-itiveness than most others.

Last, but not least, and again purely from personal observation, I have taken note of the "types" of employers who usually foster age bias.
1>A younger employer who obviously resents his elders

2>A younger employer who fears
getting older

3>An older employer who fears same-age challenge in areas of policy and curriculum

4>An older employer who fears constant reminder of his own age status.

WHATEVER the case, job prospects usually don't look too hot for birds like me--over 65 and still desirous of employment. My friends all say, "Relax, Al. Build yourself a nest of private students!" Well, that seems like pretty sound advice, and I have, to some degree, dabbled in the private student market. BUT, I'm certain you all know as well as I that there's no greater pleasure than spouting one's witticisms before a full class of avid listeners. Yes, some people are truly cut out for this brand of activity ... and there, by the grace of God, go I.

Believe me, all, I shall continue praying for the fate of us senior citizen sinners of the ESL world.

Love from,

THE ARROGANT ONE

· Previous · Next Return to Index › What's this "age" issue all about ... REALLY? - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -