TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › I'm starting to think Turnoi has a crush, he can't start a thread without me!
Beth - 2014-10-03

Degree holders with a BA in English Literature certainly do not completely qualify for ESL as it is not really relevant for ESL. Most of the concepts and standards taught in CELTA/DERLTA/good TEFL courses and at PGCE level are both from Linguistics and Pedagogy. Hence, BA majors in English Language/Linguistics should be given preference; they do qualify much better than English Literature majors for ESL teaching.

Ahhh, so I take it with this you are saying my degree in English Lit. isn't good enough?! I suggest you go and look at the components of a literature degree and see how much of it is based on linguistics, the use of English grammar and the different styles of the use of English, before saying my degree isn't relevelnt.

Especially when you have based your arguments in the past on things like the historical orthography being relevant, so my studies of historical works really gives me a wonderful insight in to how the English language has evolved and developed! (please note, I don't think how a language has evolved is relevant to students learning ESL today, but I enjoy you contradicting yourself, again, over it)

You really should stop trying to imply I'm not qualified. I am, more so than the vast majority on this board and unlike the vast majority, I also study teaching methodology in my spare time in order to continually develop my teaching skills... This is how I knew about the links between kinesthetic learners and TPR, and you didn't!

I have agreed from the start that the regulations for teaching credentials need to be tightened, especially in China, and it is something we have agreed on in the past. That you are changing your view now, simply to add another arrow to your 'things to attempt to insult Beth with' quiver (and largely in part due to your embarrassment over getting the literature quote so hysterically wrong!), says to me your opinions on education are mutable so long as they fit with your personal agenda of trying to discredit those who show you up!

Messages In This Thread
I'm starting to think Turnoi has a crush, he can't start a thread without me! -- Beth -- 2014-10-03
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › I'm starting to think Turnoi has a crush, he can't start a thread without me!

Go to another board -