TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re "The Englishes of English"
Beth - 2014-10-05

Sigh.

Again, and for the last time, yes that is all very interesting, but has no place in an ESL classroom for students learning English. They will either use American English or British English. Those are the two standards and the sets of rules that are used. End of story. You do not confuse somebody learning the past tense for the first time by telling them all the possible ways in which it is used all over the world.

This is precisely why I say you have huge, gaping holes in your practical ESL teaching knowledge, as you clearly cannot separate advanced studies from learning a foreign language! They are two different things!! You would not be able to discuss regional variants with your students if somebody first hadn't taught them English with which to use to have said discussion with! They two are different things and you just cannot, or will not, understand that!

And yes, of course there are times when one would use the past simple 'wrote' and other times the perfect 'has written'... That is the very point I was making when I corrected you! Both tenses are correct depending on the context! That is the whole point of having different tenses!! Context is exactly how we infer if the language is being used correctly or not. I am a fully trained oral examiner for Cambridge ESOL, I know what markers to look for when assessing a candidate's contextual use. Yours was still wrong!

I judge a speakers' English based on the CEFR as do most institutions in the world. This is not a new thing, it has existed for quite some time and is the yardstick by which non-native speakers are graded by.

Again, Literature is actually remarkably useful when teaching ESL, especially from PET level (A3) upwards given the large amount of text analysis that makes up study at those levels. It is far more relevant, in fact, than knowing about how English is spoken in Singapore, for example! The difference between you and I, Turnoi, is that whilst I am happy enough to admit that linguistics is certainly useful, you will never be man enough to admit literature has it's strengths, also.

You lecture at a university, teaching academic studies to learners who have already got C1+ English. I teach learners from A1 through to C2. My knowledge of different levels and methodologies of ESL teaching covers a much wider spectrum than yours does, which is why you continually hide behind this Beaugrande chap and his works... But (and for the last time) his works have no relevance to people learning a language from scratch!

Messages In This Thread
Re "The Englishes of English" -- Beth -- 2014-10-05
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re "The Englishes of English"

Go to another board -