TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re "The Englishes of English"
Beth - 2014-10-06
In response to Re "The Englishes of English" (Shane)

Sorry, cant totally agree with that. Literature degree is ok if you want to just teach literature. That's fine. If you want to teach at university level you need comprehensive knowledge. That only comes with experience. A teaching degree or degree in linguistics would be useful. I'm not saying that literature is crap, I even think some Victorian era English lit is beautiful.

Who said anything about teaching at University level? The majority of ESl work is YL teaching (under 18) and that excludes university!

Literature focuses on analysis of text, use of English grammar and vocabulary and understanding of context, all of which is vital for the understanding of a second language. Especially so when considering exams such as Cambridge ESOL and/or IELTS, all of which include large sections of writing compositions and detailed analysis and comprehension of texts.

As I have said, linguistics is also important, but you cannot write off the relevance of a literature degree, either. Look at the components of a literature degree and you will understand what I'm saying. I'd go so far as to say for teaching A1-C1 ESL, knowing how to analyse a text is more important than knowing how English developed as a language!

So no. In short Turnoi does not have a point.

Messages In This Thread
Re "The Englishes of English" -- Beth -- 2014-10-06
Re "The Englishes of English" -- Shane -- 2014-10-06
Re "The Englishes of English" -- yu2fa3 -- 2014-10-06
Re "The Englishes of English" -- Beth -- 2014-10-06
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re "The Englishes of English"

Go to another board -