TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Canadian International Educational Organization, the lowest pay school in Guangzhou
M - 2014-10-11

Like the others here, I had worked for CIEO in Guangzhou. I will completely agree with everyone on how bad this company is and to work for. The salary is the lowest in the city, compared to the other big companies (and smaller ones too). I was only with the company for three months before they terminated my employment. (Quick explanation: I am Asian by birth, but was adopted and lived in the US since I was two years old. I only speak English and have only been to US schools and universities. They fired me because of my Asian face and they decided that I could not make money for them since parents want teachers with "white" faces). I came as a full time teacher and was issued a Z visa and Foreign Expert Certificate.

From what I had seen, the full time teachers were worked to the maximum hours (25 per week plus preparation time) and usually more. There are a lot of fines, from a random parent complaining about a minor detail or someone getting hurt in class (they emphasize games, so how can the kids not bump into each other or trip on the floor at any random time). We had a few of the kindergarten teachers come and teach classes too so it is not unusual to see people moved around or go to different locations throughout the week.

The biggest problems were:

1. In the contract (and China law) they are supposed to provide you with social insurance as a full time teacher. I came to find out that they never did this for me. They should give you a card with your insurance information.

2. They tried to keep my Foreign Expert Certificate. make sure you KEEP THIS WITH YOU even if they try to say they will keep it in their files. If for some reason you need to issue a lawsuit, this is what will allow you to do so.

3. As a full time teacher, you should be given a monthly salary. Our school was renovated for two weeks and we did not work. They felt that they could give me two weeks less salary because of this, but according to the law, they are not allowed to reduce your pay for something that is their fault.

4. They fired me after my probation period (according to Chinese law, it's 1 month for 6 months contract, 2 months for 12 months contract). If they fire you without a good reason (such as you are late, didn't follow directions, etc.) they have to give you one month worth of pay. This is also according to the Chinese law. If you are fired in the probation period, there's nothing you can do.

5. Keep everything they give you, get an official copy with their seal of the contract, and make sure you sign everything with your own pen. It has happened before where companies will sign documents with pens that have the ink that fades.

It is sad to say, but you have to remember that English teaching schools are all about money and that is it. In the end, if the company has to worry about teaching kids English or making money, it will always be about the money, especially CIEO. Also, anything they give you, have them sign it and keep it in your files, you may need it for later.

View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Canadian International Educational Organization, the lowest pay school in Guangzhou

Go to another board -