TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Canadian International Educational Organization, the lowest pay school in Guangzhou
Potato - 2014-10-21

The salary is the lowest in the
city, compared to the other big companies

No one forced you to work there, you signed a contract agreeing to work x amount of hours for y amount of money. If you thought the pay was low, or that you could get more money elsewhere then do not sign the contract. Simple.

I was only with the
company for three months before they terminated my employment. (Quick explanation: I am
Asian by birth, but was adopted and lived in the US since I was two years old. I only
speak English and have only been to US schools and universities. They fired me because
of my Asian face and they decided that I could not make money for them since parents
want teachers with "white" faces). I came as a full time teacher and was
issued a Z visa and Foreign Expert Certificate.

I assume they would have seen a photo of you before sending you a contract, etc for your Z visa paperwork and your ethnicity wasn't an issue then. I am guessing that we are not getting the full story from you here as to why you were fired and obviously we won't because it does not fit your narrative.

Just to clarify, I used to work for CIEO for a couple of years and I left on good terms. They hire teachers of all ethnicities, and the good teachers stay, the bad teachers (irresponsible, unreliable, or just plain bad) go.

From what I had seen, the full time teachers were worked to the maximum hours (25 per week
plus preparation time) and usually more. There are a lot of fines, from a random parent
complaining about a minor detail or someone getting hurt in class (they emphasize games,
so how can the kids not bump into each other or trip on the floor at any random time).
We had a few of the kindergarten teachers come and teach classes too so it is not
unusual to see people moved around or go to different locations throughout the week.

How dare a company use its employees as in accordance to what is written in the contract! In the two years I worked there I was never fined for anything, and most of the teachers that I worked with were. The ones who were, deserved it (and you did not have your money deducted just because a kid bumped his head during your class). If you worked more than the 25 hours you were actually paid overtime.

Kindergarten teachers would teach at the training centers because there were classes that needed teachers and these teachers wanted to make extra money. I never heard of any kindergarten teacher being forced to work at their training centers.

1. In the contract (and China law) they are supposed to provide you with social insurance as
a full time teacher. I came to find out that they never did this for me. They should
give you a card with your insurance information.

Fair enough. I have heard cases of teachers having some kind of health emergency and CIEO's insurance covering it. If you were entitled to some card, why didn't you demand to have this card? Why didn't you take it further when/if you were stonewalled?

2. They tried to keep my Foreign Expert Certificate. make sure you KEEP THIS WITH YOU even if
they try to say they will keep it in their files. If for some reason you need to issue a
lawsuit, this is what will allow you to do so.

OK

3. As a full time teacher, you should be given a monthly salary. Our school was renovated for
two weeks and we did not work. They felt that they could give me two weeks less salary
because of this, but according to the law, they are not allowed to reduce your pay for
something that is their fault.

This happened during my time there too, and we were all paid in full. Maybe it is less to do with the company as a whole and more to do with your particular Chinese Manager trying to impress the bosses by saving money. Again, I would have taken it further if I were you.

4. They fired me after my probation period (according to Chinese law, it's 1 month for 6
months contract, 2 months for 12 months contract). If they fire you without a good
reason (such as you are late, didn't follow directions, etc.) they have to give you one
month worth of pay. This is also according to the Chinese law. If you are fired in the
probation period, there's nothing you can do.

Again, we are just getting your version of events, and I suspect we are not getting the full story from you as to why you were fired. Good, reliable teachers are hard to find and I doubt they would fire you just because you looked Asian. There is more to this story.

5. Keep everything they give you, get an official copy with their seal of the contract, and
make sure you sign everything with your own pen. It has happened before where companies
will sign documents with pens that have the ink that fades.

I'm loving the James Bond intrigue with these contracts.

View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Canadian International Educational Organization, the lowest pay school in Guangzhou

Go to another board -