TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Teaching 8 hours a week is not lazy!
Beth - 2014-10-31

Doing two, unregulated, unrecognized oral assessments means nothing. To your students, the university qualification they are studying for or any international employer.

"Do a lesson plan" ? Have you set an end goal for the whole course and forward mapped what will be covered and when? Formulating the best times to lead in to new grammar and/or vocabulary as it compliments the flow of the course? Making sure to exercise all skills (speaking, reading, writing and listening) and give your students a rounded lesson? A couple of classroom discussions a week does not constitute a course! And a topic for discussion does not constitute a lesson plan! How would you explain 'emphasis with inversion' to an advanced C2 group? Or the nuances between past perfect simple and continuous to a C1 group? Could you even create a lesson to teach narrative tenses to a B2 group? I doubt you even know how to fit your students on to the CEFR let alone base a lesson to help them advance on it! If your answer is 'no' or 'I couldn't' or 'I don't need to' to any of the above points, you have no business calling yourself an English teacher and should start calling yourself 'some bloke who is a native English speaker'.

Internationally recognized and regulated exams such as IELTS or ESOL are the only testing that is of benefit to an ESL student. But then they would go to an actual English teacher like myself to prepare for those exams, because a "teacher" like Silverboy wouldn't have a clue how to guide a student successfully through those courses! Unless the university course is specifically in English (something SB wouldn't be teaching as he's not qualified to!), and not just an additional elective class tacked on to what they're actually there to study, the English taught by Silverboy et al has no basis, regulation or benefit to the student other than a basic grasp of English conversation. It certainly won't help them get a job! They'll be able to chat to sad old laowais in bars, but then that's all SB thinks they need!

Messages In This Thread
Re Teaching 8 hours a week is not lazy! -- Beth -- 2014-10-31
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Teaching 8 hours a week is not lazy!

Go to another board -