TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Age restrictions in China
yu2fa3 - 2014-11-15
In response to Age restrictions in China (Tom Taylor)

Hello
I'm wondering if private English teaching centres have the same age restrictions as the public institutions. I have a degree, Diploma, and cert lV TESOL and 30 years of teaching experience. Problem is, I'm 68 yrs old. Is there no way I can get a teaching job in China?

This is a tricky one, Tom. There's plenty of 68 year olds working in China but most of them are married to Chinese women/men; therefore, they can obtain residence permits and work unofficially. It's generally not the schools (any type) which are ageist but the authorities. However, you sound like a proper teacher; whereas most of us who post on this forum are not qualified to teach in our own countries unless it's teaching English to foreigners. In view of you being a proper teacher you may find a school which is prepared to go out on a limb, and have influence with the authorities to hire you. It's the numbers game for you; you need to apply to hundreds of schools and tolerate many rejections to find that school you search. If you are determined enough you will be successful I'm sure. Conversely you can find yourself a Chinese wife.

Messages In This Thread
Age restrictions in China -- Tom Taylor -- 2014-11-15
Re Age restrictions in China -- Beth -- 2014-11-15
Re Age restrictions in China -- yu2fa3 -- 2014-11-15
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Age restrictions in China

Go to another board -