TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Age restrictions in China
Beth - 2014-11-15
In response to Age restrictions in China (Tom Taylor)

Hi Tom,

You may struggle to find teaching work, I'm afraid. Especially so at a training centre where there are countless recently graduated 20-somethings who have realised thier degree in philosophy, sports science or media and film studies is unlikely to land them a job back home , but can get them a teaching job in Asia. The hours at a TC may not be something you want to undertake, either. They can be very intensive, usually around 20 teaching hours a week not to mention the preparation time that entails. Classes can be very early in the morning or quite late in the evening, often on the same day depending on the centre and it's scheduling.

You may find a university in China that will take you with your qualifications quashing any worries about your age, plus the hours are shorter and preparation time less.

I'd suggest contacting a few universities directly and sending them your resume.

I'd recommend avoiding TCs in China if you are fully qualified, as the sheer amount of unqualified tourist-teachers with abysmal attitudes towards their job and their students will likely annoy you as much as it annoyed me and every other actually qualified teacher I knew during my years in China!

Do you have your heart set on China? With your experience and qualifications there may be some places in Europe that would take you on?

Messages In This Thread
Age restrictions in China -- Tom Taylor -- 2014-11-15
Re Age restrictions in China -- Beth -- 2014-11-15
Re Age restrictions in China -- yu2fa3 -- 2014-11-15
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Age restrictions in China

Go to another board -