TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Best and worse jobs
yu2fa3 - 2014-11-30
In response to Re: Best and worse jobs (Curious)

I don't know about you, but my house is full with inexpensive objects made in China. I wear clothes made in China because they are inexpensive. They are inexpensive because the factory workers who make them are paid very little, work long hours six days a week, sleep in bad accommodation (eg: 12 to 18 people sleeping in bunk beds in the same room). So, men who use prostitutes in China do take advantage of women who have no choice (or not much choice). But most of us buy stuff that is manufactured in conditions that are as bad as prostitution. We all take advantage of the workers' low paid, often dangerous and miserable lives. These workers are already at the bottom of the pecking order; there is nowhere else to go: They work in factories or they do not eat. They don't have much more choice than prostitutes. And we all use them.

A few examples from "The Disintegration of Rural China", NYT article of today (link below):

That's a good post. We might not be able to help the workers but I have seen FT's who put themselves out to help their offspring, some of whom may well study at universities where they teach. I know one teacher who when he returns from the UK at the end of a holiday brings with him several old laptops. He then gets them fixed in China and gives them to poor students. This generosity is not always possible for us poorer FT's who can't afford to return home anyway but I imagine somebody like SB with a big cash flow does try and help.

Messages In This Thread
Best and worse jobs -- NRC -- 2014-11-30
Re: Best and worse jobs -- Fifi -- 2014-11-30
Re: Best and worse jobs -- Curious -- 2014-11-30
Re: Best and worse jobs -- yu2fa3 -- 2014-11-30
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Best and worse jobs

Go to another board -