TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re China Teaching Opportunity
Sludge - 2014-12-02

The problem is the high unemployment in the EU countries and the USA.

Working for a free apartment with no bills (utilities for the north americans!) and a salary each month (preferably tax free!) becomes attractive as opposed to being unemployed and on benefits/welfare. I know for a fact that the current UK unemployment benefit is impossible to live on without resorting to crime or working for cash in hand on the side. In that case teaching abroad (I still maintain the gulf/KSA pays the best) is not a bad option. 1 year done in the KSA could net you 20,000 GBP tax free, that is not to be sniffed at. You would then be able to have a head start in China that most FT's don't, renting a nice apartment where you choose, paying for your own visas (better if the school provides a Z visa) and maintaining a current account in Hong Kong in US or HK dollars, and private health insurance.

Otherwise, if you can stay at home and do well in your own country, then I would say, stay, if not, there are plenty of opportunities besides rotting away in the declining EU ruled by Brussels bearous and German diktat.

Messages In This Thread
Re China Teaching Opportunity -- Sludge -- 2014-12-02
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re China Teaching Opportunity

Go to another board -