TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Pre-print version of my book
Beth - 2014-12-03

What has your book got to do with either culture or sub-culture?!

What an odd thing to say! Sub-culture is not an insult, it's a term used to describe an offshoot of a certain group of people or things. For example, thrash metal is a sub-culture of metal, as is speed, black and death. It simply means a new form of an existing something. Culture has various meanings, sub-culture does not and cannot be used as an insult. Well, you can use it but it makes no sense and isn't really insulting to a native speaker, so all in all just rather pointless.

A book about ancient Chinese medicine that we know now doesn't work, has no practical modern use and is usually unbelievably cruel to wildlife is neither cultural or sub-cultural! It's a vanity project that has little to no relevance to the modern world other than for some niche academics to have getting dusty on their shelves to show how well read they are! The only cultural value it could have is historical, the same way a book about anatomical studies in medieval Europe has. Interesting, but no practical application now.

I still don't believe this is your work either, seeing as you won't associate your actual name with it! Until that day comes, I have zero interest in a book written in a language I don't read, on a subject I find boring by someone who is obviously so proud of it they won't associate their name with it!

Messages In This Thread
Re Pre-print version of my book -- Beth -- 2014-12-03
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Pre-print version of my book

Go to another board -