TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Teaching in China - Teachers discussion
Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. - 2006-04-16

If you plan on teaching in China better insist that the school buy and send the ticket otherwise they have invested nothing. You invest a lot, your health, your training. I would be really firm on this. Any school that will not send you a ticket is not worth bothering with.

Living conditions are very rough in China (often no winter heat, missing windows, blocked toilet etc.) You have to ask for repairs or get them done yourself. You have to get the heating (gas or electric) that nobody else has! They are still catching up with sanitation and technology after 61 years of isolation. Shanghai can be different, very modern.

The people are rough around the edges but kind and the students very very helpful, esp. for translation when shopping. A few will attach themselves to you and help you in numerous ways. This is the best way you can teach them. Do not go out with crowds of students (noisy and stressful). Your weekends are yours.

If your motivation is to learn about Chinese culture and history do come. There is a lot to see and do.

4,500 yuan per month is much more than enough to live on. You won't spend it. Things are incredibly cheap here. Example, supper: big big bowl of mixed fried rice is 2.5 yuan, and 8 yuan is one US dollar. (A large bottle of beer is the same price 2.5 yuan.) So you eat supper or drink for about 30 cents. Trust me on this, but Shanghai and other big cities can be more expensive especially if you want to frequent western chain retaurants like KFC etc. or want to buy antiques.

The Chinese are great painters and amazing gardeners and will teach you. As I said there is a lot to do if you get out into the town with 1 or 2 students. Students don't have much pocket money so be prepared to pick up the tab often..it's pennies really.

Don't sign any contract with penalties. Go to the Chinese Embassy near you to find out exactly what papers you need for a visa. Agents make a lot of mistakes especially regarding medical forms. The Embassey will tell you what you must have.

The south is warm, the north (Beijing) is very cold. Pick a region where you will be comfortable. The extreme South like Hainan Island has tropical fruit and coconuts. Yunnan Province borders on Laos, Vietnam and Burma, good for trips. Write me directly if you want more info.

Messages In This Thread
Teaching in China - Teachers discussion -- Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. -- 2006-04-16
Beware of TS Foreign Language Training School (teresa_yang1983) - Teachers Discussion -- cata -- 2006-12-14
Right ! Avoid her ! - Teachers Discussion -- David -- 2006-12-15
Shanghai Commerce and Industry Assoc - Teachers discussion -- jack crowl -- 2006-04-29
No Worries! Well, at least not about this... - Teachers discussion -- Raoul Duke LOOK! I BEEN TO COLLEGE! -- 2006-04-30
Hard to paint China with a broad brush... - Teachers discussion -- Raoul -- 2006-04-17
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Teaching in China - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -